Other Job Listings
These are available jobs that do not fit into the provided categories.
City of Nampa Hiring:
City Landscape Horticulture Specialist 1
Job Status: Full Time
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Reports To: Assigned Parks Supervisor
Amount of Travel Required: some
Job Type: Regular
Job Code: 6120
Positions Supervised: Seasonal Maintenance Personnel
Work Schedule: Generally work 8:00 am - 5:00 pm; however must be able to work flexible and varied hours.
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES Performs a variety of horticulture and landscaping activities in an assigned areas of responsibility, and/or serves as the lead worker over an assigned maintenance crew; performs other duties as required or assigned.
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS The principal function of an employee in this class is to perform a variety of routine manual landscape and horticulture activities in an assigned area of responsibility to ensure a safe and pleasant environment for City residents. The employee is this position will oversee and coordinate the scheduling of landscape and horticulture projects in City parks and other City properties. The work is performed under the supervision and direction of an assigned supervisor, but considerable leeway is granted for the exercise of independent judgment and initiative. The nature of the work performed requires that an employee in this class establish and maintain effective working relationships with the assigned supervisor, other City employees, and the general public. The principal duties of this class are performed in an outdoor environment in a variety of terrains and weather conditions with exposure to airborne pathogens and chemicals.
Idaho Botanical Garden Hiring:
Employee Status: Non-exempt, seasonal full time
Pay Rate: $10 - $16/hour
Assigned Work Location: IBG Grounds
Horticulturists are dedicated to caring for the living collections of the Idaho Botanical Garden (IBG) through high quality, hands-on horticultural techniques.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
· Performs a wide range of landscape maintenance tasks important to the preservation, protection, and transplanting of existing living collections; including but not limited to soil preparation, planting, mulching, weeding, watering, fertilization, irrigation, and pesticide application.
· Must have a keen eye for garden detail.
· Follow specified procedures in performing single or multi-task assignments. May work as a member of a crew with other staff or volunteers, or individually. Assignments are received verbally and/or in writing from the supervisor.
· Must be able to assume responsibility for following all guidelines related to safety, equipment operation, and maintenance tasks.
· Establish and meet task completion schedules on a daily, weekly, and monthly basis.
· Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; looks for ways to improve and promote quality; applies feedback to improve performance; monitors own work to ensure quality.
· Other duties as assigned.
Physical Requirements and Work Environment:
These physical demands are representative of the physical requirements necessary for an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of the job: The employee must be able to regularly lift and /or move up to 20 lbs and occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 lbs. Excellent dexterity and fine motor skills, required for working with hands for long periods of time. Ability to work in various weather conditions such as cold, snow, or rain. Ability to be on one’s feet and walk throughout the Garden, sometimes on uneven surfaces.
It is understood that this job description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope of the job and the general nature and level of work performed by the Horticulturist within this job, but this job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of qualifications, skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position.
● Possesses a friendly, polite, service-oriented demeanor while interacting and working in close proximity to garden guests. Must answer a variety of questions regarding the horticulture collection.
● Behaves and communicates in a manner that promotes and fosters a culture of teamwork and cooperation with internal and external customers.
● Focuses on solving conflict; approaches others in a tactful manner; accepts responsibility for own actions; follows through on commitments; remains open to new ideas and approaches.
● Volunteers readily; undertakes self-development activities; seeks increased responsibilities; takes independent actions and calculated risks; looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; asks for and offers help when needed.
Required Skills, Knowledge, and Training:
●Must be able to responsibly use power tools and equipment such as string trimmers, mowers, blowers, and sprayers.
● A valid Idaho driver’s license and good driving record.
● Ability to use computers for basic tasks such as email correspondence, calendar scheduling, and Microsoft Suite.
● At least two years of experience in all aspects of routine garden maintenance working with a professional gardening, horticulture, landscaping, or nursery organization.
Preferred Skills, Knowledge and Training:
●Associate or Bachelor degree in Horticulture or related field.
● Four years of professional experience in the horticulture field.
Additional Job Requirements:
● Clearance of a background check.
● Ability to occasionally work weekends.
Email cover letter and resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 6th, 2019.